Image via WIkipedia
Visiting New York City is considered by most, to be a once in a lifetime opportunity. The cultural diversity of the city makes it feel as if you are traveling abroad. Between some of the best fine dining restaurants in the world, and convenient accommodations, such as those at the The Holland Hotel, it is easy to see why many view New York City as the shining example of refinement and sophistication. NYC is not only about fine dining and world class accommodations, however; it is also one of the major entertainment capitals of the world thanks to hit Broadway shows and musicals.
Make Plans to See a Broadway Show
Broadway literally has dozens of productions going on daily, so it is important to know what it is you want to see before you head out. What most people do not realize is that all of these shows are hosted at different venues, so heading to one theater really limits what you are able to see. The best thing to do is go to NewYork.com and check under the Broadway listings to find the show you want to see. You can also purchase tickets in advance, which can ensure you have a seat for the show, since they frequently sell out.
Popular Broadways Shows That Should Not Be Missed
With so many shows playing at different venues, it can be difficult to decide which show to see. This is especially true for people who are traveling to NYC. Since reviews are generally shared more locally than nationally, it can be a bit more intimidating than you think to pick a Broadway show. If you are staying at The Holland Hotel, you can ask the staff for their recommendations. If you are still not sure which production to see, here are five of the featured Broadway productions.
- The Lion King. After 15 years on Broadway, this smash hit is still in extremely high demand. This production has been experienced by more than 65 million people from around the world. It ranks fifth in longest running Broadway productions and has obtained more than 70 awards, including a Grammy for Best Musical Show Album. You can catch one of the 8 weekly performances of The Lion King at the Minskoff Theater, for around $100 a ticket.
- Winner of a 2014 Tony Award and the 8th musical that Disney staged on Broadway, Aladdin has taken NYC by storm. Ticket prices for this show are around $65, and it stays true to the original animated movie released by Disney in 1992. You will hear all of your favorite songs while witnessing the adventurous, romantic escapades of young love. You can see this production at the New Amsterdam Theater, Tuesday through Sunday.
- Les Miserables. The 4th longest running show in Broadway history, Les Miserables is another “must see”. It has played in more than 40 countries, 300 cities, seen by more than 70 million people, and has won 76 awards globally. Need we say more? You can catch one of the 8 weekly performances at the Imperial Theatre for around $80 for each ticket.
- Charlie And The Chocolate Factory. In March of 2017, two-time Tony Award winner, Christian Brole brings to life everyone’s favorite candy man, Willie Wonka. The production is directed by Jack O’Brien, who is a three-time Tony Award winning director. This is sure to be a show for the ages, and one that should not be missed.
- Hamilton: See history come to life in this new musical production. Hamilton has been nominated for a whopping 16 Tony Awards this year! This show is extremely popular amongst New Yorkers and the rest of the world right now, so good luck getting tickets!
It is easy to see, with Broadways hits like this, why New York City has a special place in all of our hearts. It gives us great entertainment from Broadway, mouthwatering food and world-class luxury accommodations. It has everything you need, to make a weekend getaway into a grand vacation or turn that annual family vacation into an experience that will last a lifetime. Reserve your room for a fraction of NYC prices at The Holland Hotel.